Saturday, July 08, 2006

Book, Books, and More Books

This weekend we are traveling to the Black Sea for a day of sun and sunburns. We will leave Saturday morning at 7:30 by train and return sometime around 9:00 that night. We are eager for a little relaxing fun after an exhausting but rewarding week.

No doubt we will have books on the trip. One of the best things about summer vacation is getting to read all the good books I want to read during the year but have not had time for. I started the trip by reading a science book called, "Why do men have nipples?" It answered odd questions you've always wanted wanted to ask your doctor. It was a funny book but I can't say I'd recommend it.

My next book was called "Better Off". This is the true story of a man and his wife who move into a community with some minimalites so they can see what it is like to live without major technologies. This is a funny and poinient book that makes one stop and think about what technology does to us. When I got done with it, the book got passed to just about everyone on our team. We all enjoyed it and I highly recommend it.

Next was a book by Rick McKinley of Imago Dei Community Church in Portland, Oregon. The book is called "Jesus in the Margins". It was a well written book about our relationship with God in a world that is less than perfect. I highly recommend it.

I next read a book that I've always wanted to read. The book "Kon-Tiki" was written over 50 years ago and chronicles the true adventure of 6 men taking a raft across the Pacific Ocean from Peru to Polynesia. It was an amazing book and I would love to go on an adventure like this.

The next book was called "Looking for God Knows What" by Don Miller. He does a nice job of talking about current spiritual thought. While not as good as his previous book "Blue Like Jazz" I still liked it.

I am currently reading "Sho-gun" but it is challenging because it is an old copy of the paperback book and each time I turn the page, it falls out. I guess that puts a little fun into the reading process.

I am not sure what I will read next. I am almost out of books. I am sure something will come up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home