Friday, June 09, 2006

Romania Summer Missions 2

Geoffrey's Report - We are excited to be in Romania today. Our flights all went as planned and we had a little adventure in London. We had a 6-hour layover so we played a little game called "Find London Bridge." After several train rides and begging directions from several locals, we finally found the bridge. We had about enough time to walk across it, take a picture, and then get on a train to head back to Heathrow Airport. Dana and I made it to Bucharest Thursday night and got to the apartment (our summer home) around 12:30 AM. We pretty much went to bed right away. Friday morning was spent resting and unpacking. In the afternoon, we explored the central area of Bucharest and in the evening were a part of a Bible study at Bubba and Lavinia's apartment. It was mostly for young-professionals.


Dana seems to be adjusting to these new surroundings pretty well. I took her and a few other campaigners over to an Orthodox church after lunch and gave them a quick overview of the major religions. We saw people praying over icons and relics. We also saw people paying priests to pray over them. When I see this, it reminds me that there is a great deal of spiritual hunger here. There are Romanians looking for God. Many of them are looking in the wrong places but we know God can bless the searching of a willing heart. We are eager to help some in their search as we study the Bible with them. The major thrust of the campaign will start on the 19th. Until then, we will be doing visitations and familiarizing ourselves to the culture. Thank you for your continued prayers.



-------------------

Dana's Report - It is my first day in Romania and already I know it is going to be an exciting summer. I was happy Geoffrey and I had a chance to view a small piece of England and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed the English countryside this past spring. After a few "mini adventures" and a startling drive to our summer apartment, I feel ready to experience the city.


Today we exchanged some of our American money for Romanian leu and I had a chance to make some of my first purchases. With our new month-long Metro passes, we had a chance to experience close traveling quarters. The city is alive with people, cars, and animals! I am most excited to meet our Romanian students in the next weeks and in the mean time plan to learn a little of the language and (hopefully) my way around Bucharest.


As we walked through the town and found the Orthodox Church I met some women and children who asked for money to buy food and milk. I decided I could serve best by providing the women with some bread and as a result had a small train of people who wanted bread, milk, diapers, and a trip to the grocery store. It was difficult, but I felt content to provide the women and children with just some bread to help them through the day.


I thank you all for your continued prayers and support! I believe that God is going to do amazing things in our lives and in the lives of those we meet and I am thankful that God provided me with the opportunity to be here.

4 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an action packed and challenging first day! I'm glad you were able to "see" London (again) and share some of the wonderful sites you saw this spring. I look forward to hearing more about Romania and your experiences.

Roni Moats (Dana's Mom)

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely. Our prayers are with you for health, safety and ability to share your faith.
Janet

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Patty said...

Yipee! Wish I was there. Glad to hear you made it and we look forward to following your daily progress.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Papa John said...

Way to go, Son. First round of prayers for you are answered with your safe transit and arrival.

Say a warm Hello to Bubba, to my sweet Lavinia, and to little buddy Bogdon.

Papa
(PS the box came today)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home